January 30th, 2009
in the last few weeks I’ve been looking at a lot of homepages – good and bad ones. Looking at the ones I rated as good seem to have a similar pattern. I would like to call these principles of good homepage design and share it with yous
Your homepage – whether you’re selling something or just wanting to attract people to participate should have answers to the following questions in the following order:
- What is it? what am I looking at? – give me very clear, short description
- Why should I use it? – try to relate to me in some way
- Why should I use it? – give a bigger picture of why I should use it. Tell me the benefits.
- Who else is using it? What are they saying about it? – customer testimonials, news clips, etc that give credible raves about you
- Ok.. how and where do I start? – I’m sort of interested now, what do i do. Following the user’s eye and flow here is pretty important.
These principles are pretty much across websites that support popular and successful online tools and products now including:
and so on…
Does your homepage follow these?